These are random musings of my life journey, the people, animals, places, and events which have woven, and continue to weave, a tapestry that is me. We all know there is no real destination, only the ongoing experiences which blend together, creating the trail. Each step gives a glimpse of what is to come, without allowing me to see the end result. It is exciting. I have a home base that is mine, that gives me a place to rest. This is it. This is where my heart is, no matter where I journey...................

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Wonky internet, the weekend, weather and that other W, too

First of all, everything internet related seems to be slow and a little wonky today. Emails with pictures are very slow to download or the pictures don't show up. Some/many sites are loading like I've got till Christmas to get there. Error messages have popped up several times. I don't know what it is, but I'm wondering about the possible effects of the solar flare that is supposedly heading this way. I don't know, but sumptin's up. Or down. Or simply a mess.

I had some trouble sleeping last night. I woke around 3:00 and couldn't go back to sleep. Don't know what's up with that, either. I guess I don't know much of anything today, huh?  LOL! Anyway, after I woke, I just kept tossing and turning with a list of things to do today running through my head. I wasn't exactly worried about any of it (more on that in a minute), but I just couldn't let the list go. No, I didn't turn over and write it down to release it, because the same list was written last night and was awaiting me next to the phone! I tried TV, reading, crossword puzzles .... nothing helped. Finally I got up, made coffee, and crawled back into bed with a cup and my book, accepting that I just wasn't going to sleep again.

Once I got out of bed, around 7:00, I took care of the animals, fed myself, and it was still too early to start making the phone calls on my list. So I walked around the property and looked for thistles that needed to be sprayed. I only found a few, but I was glad I got it done early, before the heat of the day began.

Then I began my phone calls, setting up appointments and taking care of issues. The one I dreaded was to A short bit of history: I got the new TV and home theater a bit over a month ago, and within a few days, I was having trouble with the remote and the base of the sound system communicating. Eventually, they totally quit "talking" to each other. I emailed the company and was told in return that many items can be returned through the store. So a couple days ago I was there, and I asked about it. I was hoping that I could replace just the base and remote and not have to remove all the speakers and wires, 'cause it's a pain in the tush to get those in place. I was told that since I bought it as a "bundle," a single price for purchasing the TV and sound system together, I would have to return both (in the original boxes and packing!!!) and have both replaced!!! I was stunned!

As I drove home, I was already making my mind up that I wasn't going to do that. The TV is fine, and I did not have the boxes, so returning a perfectly fine, operational 37" TV without the original box is just whack! I would just eat the cost of the sound system. It's value is almost $200, but in the package, it was less than $100. Not worth the headache and stomach upset for that. I would, however, be sure that everyone I knew (via blog, FB, in person, the BBB, and a letter to the editor in the newspaper, etc.) knew about the stupid return policy. And the big W would also know this and that I would never order through them again.

So, this morning, I decided to tackle that first and get it out of the way. I was puckered and pinched, ready to do battle when I dialed the 1-800 number! I waited just a couple minutes and a nice voice said something similar to "Hi, I'm Erica, and I'm here to help your experience be pleasant," and I thought, "Yeah, right, well, here I come, lady." She listened patiently without interrupting me (that in itself is unusual) while I explained all the above with greater detail. Then she asked me a few necessary questions to pull up the account information, and after she checked it out, she said there was no problem! Yeah! She really did!

The replacement is already being processed and shipped for 2-3 day delivery. I will put the old system in that same box and return it to them, and if the new system works, we are done! I couldn't believe it! No hassle, no muss, no fuss! So I'm taking back some of my previous frustrated comments about the big W. This transaction salvaged a lot of my respect for them. Not all, but some.

I do have to take down and return the whole system, including the speakers. I'll live with that. The fact that I didn't have to play my I'll-never-buy-from-W-online-again card means a lot!

I've completed all but one of my calls and I'm waiting for one call back, but I feel good about how it has gone. After these two calls are completed, I think I'm going to be online very little today, unless the wonkiness lessens. I'm going to get a little house work done, mow the grass patch (since we are supposed to have rain again as of tomorrow, and then lay on the couch with the Kindle for the rest of the day.

Tomorrow will be a busy one for me. I'm starting a volunteer position at the thrift shop that supports the library, then going from there to the fine arts theater to help set up for the reception and silent auction for the art tour that is tomorrow night. I'll be there from 12:00 till 3:00, then home to get ready for the evening, and back to the theater at 4:30. I'll be greeting and serving hors d'oeuvres or punch during the evening. It's a fun event I've been to before, my first time as a volunteer for the event. Friday is a "free day" for me, then on Saturday I will be helping Zoë at her location of the art tour. Zoë is a wonderful jewelry artist. I have several pieces of her design and craft, and I love them. I'm really excited to be helping her. You see, she is rather shy, and just doesn't like to do the sales part (our friend Lynne usually does this for her), and I love meeting and talking to people, so it will be a good day for us both. Then on Sunday, Dorothy and I are going to make the rounds of the tour to see the other artists' works.

Monday I can get back to normal. OH NO! I can't!! I have to be in Alamogordo about the "check engine" light of my truck. Again. But I suppose that is kinda "normal" in my life.

Alrighty. I'm headed out to mow. Then I'll check those two calls, and hit the couch!  Woohooo!!

OH NO again!!! I (and Jazi!) just heard thunder! I may not get the mowing done. Damn weather forecasts are so inaccurate since I'm in the country. Well, if it rains, I guess I'll be on the couch that much earlier! Tsk, tsk, too bad!


  1. I am so sorry you have been having problems with your TV and surround sound. L and I used to have surround sound, but the base stopped working on one of my many moves and I just stopped using the surround sound. Yes it's great, but sometimes it seems like too much work. I am so glad that Walmart is coming through for you. I think they are working hard at changing their reputation.

    Last night when I took Sophie out for her last walk there was an awesome light show to the north. We stayed outside and watched it for a while and then at 2am I woke up because of all the lightening. There was no thunder, just a really cool lightening show. I just barely heard the rain against the windows, but was so happy that I was no longer living in a sinkhole. My new place is so well insulated that it will be great to not hear every single thing that happens outside.

    Have fun the next couple of day.

  2. The TV is great, it's just the sound system. And I've decided if I ever buy another, I will hold out till I can afford a Bose, even if it is "just" the radio. I have the Bose Wave radio hooked up to the bedroom TV, and it is fabulous! It is nearly 20 years old, still sounds better than either surround sound system I've had, fills the room with rich tone.

    The storm that moved through a bit ago was very short, very noisy, and wet the ground but wasn't measurable. Now it sunny and warming up again! LOL!

    And girl, I can't tell you how glad I am that you have moved.

  3. We finally, finally are getting rain this morning! Get this, on Tuesday, it was 123 with the heat index! Yikes! We have fun plans for Friday when it is supposed to be cooler. So I missed you Lyn, and since it's raining and Jake is playing video games I came here first! I am so glad that you got the T.V. ordeal sorted out, I love when things turn out not as bad as we anticipated! And about the tossing and turning night, Jake and I both had one of those on Monday. Don't forget to wear some of Zoe's jewelery that day. I love sales, I would have fun with that! Don't over do Lyn, I know how busy you like to be! See you again soon... Love Di ♥

  4. I'm glad you found a few minutes to drop by, Di. I've been hearing how oppressive and dangerous the heat is back there, and I'm really glad you're getting some rain relief. Jake has the right idea .... staying in and doing something not physically challenging!

    You bet I'll be wearing Zoë's jewelry! I'll have to post some pictures of it. Just gorgeous! Actually, I don't like sales, per se, but I love talking to people and I'm enthusiastic about her work. It's hard to do "cold" sales, but when it is something I love anyway, it is easy to be excited about it. I'll have fun, and be able to spend time with my sweet friend. It'll be a good day. :)

    Don't be gone too long, Di!

  5. I think it might be a toss-up as to which of us is busier. Sounds like you have a fun weekend in store. I love that your library has a volunteer store. I hate that libraries have to resort to fund-raising to keep going. I could really get on a rant about that. I guess once a librarian, always a librarian.

    ~hippo hugs~

  6. Pam, you could be right on that busy thing. But busy is good. I also make sure I balance with lazy time to just sit and read or paint or do something fun for me.

    I admire this library for many reasons. They do have charitable support, as well, in form of a handful of regular donors, but the day-to-day operation is maintained by the shop. A while back they ran a fund raising campaign to build a new, much needed addition. I think they at least doubled, if not tripled their space. I also like that the library and thrift shop are run by volunteers. There is not a paid position at either! The reason they do this is so they can avoid having corporate or bureaucratic entities telling them what they can and can't have on the shelves. They are not censure nuts, as I can find all kinds of literature on the shelves, some of which *I* might ban!! I've also found books that might be controversial to either liberal and conservative people. Works well for me!


If you have something to say about it, just stick out your thumb, and I'll slow down so you can hop aboard! But hang on, 'cause I'm movin' on down the road!!! No time to waste!!!