The good new is .... I'm feeling a lot better. Not completely out of the woods yet, but much better than in my last post. The fog in my head is only light now and comes and goes. The pain has minimized to a tolerable level. All in all, I'm enough better to be fully functional, and reasonably comfortable.
Now for the bad news .... Jazmyn has found another way to escape the confines of the house and yard .... again. After leaving work I made a couple stops on the way home, and upon arrival, there were just four dogs on the deck. To make it worse, the weather was not good. It was raining pretty steadily. There had been an inch of rain, probably in the last 2-3 hours, and there was pea-sized sleet/hail on the ground, enough to nearly cover the ground and to pile in small drifts a couple inches deep in places.
As I carried groceries in and stuck the frozen things in the freezer, I whistled for her as I went up and down the steps. On my third and final trip, she came running up the driveway soaked to her skin and muddy. When I picked her up, she was shivering. It wasn't really cold, probably around 60°, but being that wet will do it. I suspect some of the shivering was from fear, too, because there had been some thunder in the hour that preceded.
It had rained enough that the back yard was muddy and had standing puddles, so I did only a cursory check of the fence, but saw nothing. A fairly thorough exam of the deck held no clues to her escape path. Once again I'm flummoxed.
I gave her a warm bath to soothe her and get rid of the mud. When I took her collar off, here is what I found.
Looks like her escape was very tight. The spring ring that holds her tags was torn almost open, about half the ring was unwound. She is one strong little dog, because I couldn't bend it with my fingers. She was very determined to get out! Now another scary thought for me .... she could have hung herself on that collar! Not knowing if she pushed through a tight space or climbed over something, well, I'm afraid to think about it! But I have to, because I have to find and remedy the loop-hole.
Here we go again. And trust me, that is said with no glimmer of glee, but just a heavy sense of dread. For today, there are possible thunderstorms, and I will take her to work with me. I will try to remedy this over the weekend, then play it by ear. I may have to crate her for safety. sigh. I think I've said this before .... It's a good thing I really, really love this little dog, cause she's a pain in the tush some times!