Smokey, the cat, has apparently crossed the Rainbow Bridge. When Allan went to San Diego for Christmas, I went by and put out food, but it was untouched after a few days, so I quit putting it out. Well, some of it was eaten, but not all, and I didn't see her/him at all. That wasn't usual. Smokey usually came running when food was offered, and stayed to be petted.
When Allan returned, he told me that Smokey had a wound on the side before he left. So when I told him that I tried to feed him/her, and what happened, we assume that Smokey passed away from the wound shortly after Allan left. She/he has never been back, so it seems pretty certain. Smokey had been coming to his door for over two years. :'(
On a happier note ......
My own "Smokey" (I gotta settle on a name for him**) is continuing to come and eat here. He didn't eat yesterday until very late, overnight, sometime after 11:00 when I checked last, but it was gone this morning. I'm wondering if he belongs to some order that fasts on Sunday.
Boy, I hope it's not some strange cult.
**Wanna help me name the cat?
Here is, well sorta, a picture of him/her.
- Grey dark and light stripes, not sharply defined. (Stormy? Cloudy? Ashes? Dusty? Stony?)
- Long hair. (Puff? Fuzzy? Harry?)
- Pretty large, I'd guess around 10-14 pounds. (Sumo? King? Doozer? Tank?Moose?)
- Has just one eye. (Popeye? Flirt? Pirate? Winky?)
- Scared of me so far. (Spooky? Jitterbug? Runner? Mercury? Willy?)
Poor critter's gotta have a moniker. If one of you comes up with a name that grabs me, I'll go with it; if not, maybe we'll put it to a vote, OK?