These are random musings of my life journey, the people, animals, places, and events which have woven, and continue to weave, a tapestry that is me. We all know there is no real destination, only the ongoing experiences which blend together, creating the trail. Each step gives a glimpse of what is to come, without allowing me to see the end result. It is exciting. I have a home base that is mine, that gives me a place to rest. This is it. This is where my heart is, no matter where I journey...................

Saturday, July 16, 2011

de siete días

Day Seven
Monday, June 20

And finally, it was the day of coming home. Isn’t that always a time of mixed emotions? I was actually pretty rested, in spite of the crazy pace we kept all week long. Oh, and the amount of booze I drank! Much more than I’m used to, and yet I was never tipsy or had even a hint of hangover.

Anyway, I was up at 5:30 to pack the last things, and in the lobby by 6:30. We had all agreed to share the cost of a van to the airport. That’s cheaper and far more pleasant than going it alone.

At the airport, the disaster happened. They wouldn’t let me carry the drum. It is hollowed-out wood, about 18 inches long and 4-5 inches in diameter. It was considered a  “stick,” so it had to go into a suitcase. I got it in and closed the suitcase, but the suitcase popped open! So I had to do what I’d hoped to avoid. I took out a folding canvas bag I took “just in case,” as that “jic” moment had arrived. I pulled out a number of clothing items from the suitcase and tossed them in the overflow bag, snapped everything shut ..... and paid the extra $39 for the bag. gah!

Now .... this looks like a serious weapon, doesn't it? It is hollow, not big enough or heavy enough to do damage, would splinter before cold-cocking I'm pretty sure. Oh well, I'm not about to argue with those TSA people!!

The thing was, I had little choice. I was carrying my carry-on with the huge black pot in it! I had to carry it. There was no way it would fit in the suitcase. There was no way to pack it, and I didn’t trust anyone to get it home for me safely! I was barely “legal.” In fact, I’m pretty sure I was over the limit of carry-on, and the flight attendants were, uhm, not 100% pleased, although they accommodated me. They didn't give me much trouble, but there were many sighs and pursed lips, however. I must say that Continental flight attendants are not nearly as much fun as those on Southwest. Definitely lacking in the sense of humor department. I’ll fly SW any chance I get.

Other than my luggage debacle the trip home was uneventful. I parted ways with my fellow travelers at Houston as they were all from the Kansas and Missouri area. I arrived at the Albuquerque Sunport around 2:00 in the afternoon, was whisked out to my truck, and got settled in. BTW, the young man driving the shuttle made me laugh as we neared my parking space, I said "It's the bright blue truck on the right." As we got, out and he got my luggage for me, he said, "That surprised me. I didn't figure you for a pickup truck." I asked what he thought I'd be driving, and he said, "Oh, some sort of sports car, probably a Corvette." LOL! Yeah, well, not where I live!!

After leaving the parking lot, I made a quick swing around ABQ to get some hair product on the west side of town, then to the east side of the city for Trader Joe's and a few items, with three short stops in between, including gassing up the truck. As I said in an earlier post, I was headed home just about two hours after arriving, making great time.

You know the rest of the story. I came home and began the battle to keep Miss Jazmyn Jewel safely at home. And for the record, I ran to town a couple hours ago to get supplies for the guy who is doing some minor home repairs, and when I came back, Jazi had somehow ripped through wire again!!! It isn't the heavy welded wire, but some that I can't believe she could destroy!! DAMN!! I'm glad Bill was here, because she ran right to him. He put he back inside and blocked the torn area. He was amazed that little Jazi could rip up the wire like she did! I think he thought I was exaggerating about her prowess. He believes me now!!!  I'll be buying more of the heavy welded wire Monday or Tuesday. sigh....

It was a dream vacation. I was with my kids and grandkids and in one of the most lovely places I know. I had more fun than I can describe. I ate fabulous food and lots of fun drinks. I shopped till I dropped, danced my socks off, and had many adventures. Yet when I went to work on Tuesday, I was ready for it. I came home relaxed and revitalized. Most certainly ....

....Life is beautiful!!!!


  1. I'm so excited for you Lyn. I mean it sounded like a dream trip, well except for the little drum incident!! But you know what they say, Shit happens!!
    I think you're going to have a hard time with Jazi now. I think she's got the teenager freedom thing goin' on now!! Love Di ♥

  2. Di, I guess the way to look at it is .... things like that make us appreciate when things go RIGHT!!! It wasn't a really big deal in the whole scheme of events.

    As for Miss Jaz ....I think I have my work cut out for me! I just hope the heavier wire will solve the problem and give me peace of mind while I'm gone. If not, well, at least the back yard seems secure and safe.

  3. I got quite confused here.
    The last post of yours that popped up for me was the one about spaghetti for one.

    I've been coming by, seeing no new post and leaving again. What happened?

    Anyway, I see that you have had a lovely time.
    All's well that ends well.


If you have something to say about it, just stick out your thumb, and I'll slow down so you can hop aboard! But hang on, 'cause I'm movin' on down the road!!! No time to waste!!!